Site List

Select neighborhood(s) and categories below, or scroll down to view the list of all sites.

Filter Sites

Clear Selection

Neighborhoods

Categories

Print

View sites: By Neighborhoods | Alphabetical

Downtown

The commercial heart of Chicago has undergone a dramatic transformation during the past three decades. Downtown has been marked by an increasing diversity of building types and uses as well as a steady increase in the number of full-time residents and university students. Famous worldwide for its innovative, beautiful and often powerfully-designed tall buildings, the heart-of-the-city also features cultural, institutional, civic and commercial buildings that serve residents and large numbers of visitors. Recent efforts to lure small and large companies back to downtown office locations continue despite the overall economic challenges facing the state and the nation.

Community Partners:

Building Owners and Managers Association

Greater North Michigan Avenue Association

Chicago Loop Alliance

Kemper Building

Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture

Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture

111 W. Monroe St.

Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture is dedicated to the design of high-performance, energy-efficient and … More

Arup

Arup

35 E. Wacker Dr. (Jewelers Building)

Founded in 1946, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the … More

Auditorium Building, Roosevelt University

Roosevelt University Auditorium Building

430 S. Michigan Ave.

When first built in 1889, many referred to the Auditorium Building as the eighth wonder … More

Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University

Auditorium Theater

50 E. Congress Pkwy.

A National Historic Landmark, the Auditorium Theatre is known internationally for its perfect acoustics, innovative … More

Berghoff Restaurant

Berghoff Restaurant

17 W. Adams St.

German immigrant Herman Joseph Berghoff opened Chicago’s original Berghoff Café in 1898. The restaurant’s adjoining … More

Blackstone Renaissance Hotel

Blackstone Renaissance Hotel

636 S. Michigan Ave.

The Blackstone Hotel is a bona fide Chicago landmark – a beautiful, historic building with … More

Chicago Architecture Foundation

Chicago Architecture Foundation

224 S. Michigan Ave. (Railway Exchange)

The Chicago Architecture Foundation (CAF) is proud to present the third-annual Open House Chicago. CAF … More

Chicago Board of Trade Building

Chicago Board of Trade Building

141 W. Jackson Blvd.

The Chicago Board of Trade Building was built by Holabird and Root in 1930. The … More

Chicago Temple (First United Methodist Church)

First United Methodist Church (Chicago Temple Building)

77 W. Washington St.

The Chicago Temple, a 568-foot tall skyscraper, is a neo-Gothic monument to the Methodists’ commitment … More

Chicago Transit Authority Headquarters Building

Chicago Transit Authority Headquarters Building

567 W. Lake St.

The CTA headquarters, designed by Kachoris Altay Architects and completed in 2004, was built to … More

City Hall

City Hall

121 N. La Salle St.

Occupying the western half of the City/County Building, the 1911 Holabird & Roche monumental neo-classical, … More

Clayco & Forum Studio

Clayco & Forum Studio

35 E. Wacker Dr. (Jewelers Building)

Located in the historic Jewelers Building, the new offices of Clayco and Forum Studio feature … More

Columbia Yacht Club

Columbia Yacht Club

111 N. Lake Shore Dr.

Since 1892, Columbia Yacht Club—located where Randolph Street meets the Lake Michigan shoreline—has long been … More

DIRTT Environmental Solutions

DIRTT Environmental Solutions

325 N. Wells St. Suite 1000

Built on the top of Gustav Hallberg's 1912 Chase & Sanborn Coffee Company Warehouse building, … More

Fine Arts Building

Fine Arts Building

410 S. Michigan Ave.

Originally designed as a carriage assembly and showroom for the Studebaker Company by Solon Spencer … More

Fisher Building

Fisher Building

343 S. Dearborn St.

The 18-story gothic-inspired Fisher Building designed by Charles Atwood of Burnham & Co. is distinguished … More

Gensler

Gensler

11 E. Madison St. (Sullivan Center)

Located on the third floor of the Louis Sullivan-designed Carson Pirie Scott & Co. building … More

Goettsch Partners

Goettsch Partners

224 S. Michigan Ave. (Railway Exchange), 17th Floor

Goettsch Partners is a Chicago-based architectural firm that practices internationally, with additional offices in Shanghai … More

HOK

HOK

60 E. Van Buren St. (CNA Building), 14th Floor

HOK is a global design, architecture, engineering and planning firm established in 1955. The firm … More

Holabird & Root

Holabird & Root

140 S Dearborn St. (Marquette Building), Suite #410

Located in the Marquette Building, Holabird & Root was founded in Chicago in 1880. The … More

House of Blues

House of Blues, Foundation Room

329 N. Dearborn St.

Acclaimed modernist architect Bertrand Goldberg was the genius behind Chicago's iconic Marina City complex (1959-1967) … More

IA Interior Architects

IA Interior Architects

104 S. Michigan Ave. (Mornoe Building), suite 1200

Located on the 12th floor of the Holabird and Roche designed Monroe building, IA was … More

JAHN

JAHN

35 E. Wacker Dr. (Jewelers Building)

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** Housed in the landmarked former Jewelers Building, JAHN is a … More

JGMA

JGMA

218 S. Wabash St. Suite 200

JGMA—a progressive architecture and design practice lead by Juan Gabriel Moreno, AIA—is responsible for award … More

Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park

Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park

201 E. Randolph St.

The focal point of Millennium Park and the favored gathering spot of Chicagoans, Frank Gehry's … More

Kemper Building

Kemper Building (courtesy of Pete Hill)

One East Wacker Drive

The Kemper Building was the world’s tallest marble-clad office building when it opened - and … More

Langham Hotel Chicago

Langham Hotel

330 N. Wabash Ave. (IBM Plaza)

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** **Online Reservation Required** The newest North American addition to Langham … More

Loop Synagogue

Loop Synagogue (courtesy of Phil Moss)

16 S. Clark St.

The Chicago Loop Synagogue was founded in 1929 to serve the religious needs of Orthodox … More

Lyric Opera of Chicago - Civic Opera House

Civic Opera House

20 N. Wacker Dr.

Home to the internationally renowned Lyric Opera of Chicago, this throne-shaped 49-story building features Art … More

MDA Chicago City Apartments

MDA Chicago City Apartments

63 E. Lake St.

An early 20th c., 24-story office building designed by Daniel Burnham Jr., 63 E. Lake … More

Marquette Building presented by MacArthur Foundation

MacArthur Foundation, Marquette Building

140 S. Dearborn St.

Restored in 2001 by the MacArthur Foundation, the Marquette Building is one of the most … More

McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum

McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum

376 N. Michigan Ave. Riverwalk Level

The 1920, 5-story, 1,400 square-foot bridgehouse, designed by Edward Bennett, was embellished in 1928 with … More

Metropolitan Club at Willis Tower

Metropolitan Club

233 S. Wacker Drive, 67th Floor (enter on Franklin)

Located on the 66th and 67th floors of the iconic Willis Tower, The Metropolitan Club … More

Monroe Building

Monroe Building (courtesy of Mark Ballogg)

104 S. Michigan Ave.

Designed by Holabird and Roche, this 1912 Romanesque-inspired 16-story, steel frame building is clad in … More

NELSON

NELSON

30 W. Monroe St. (Inland Steel Building)

NELSON is an interior design and architecture firm located in the landmarked Inland Steel Building. … More

Nagle Hartray Architecture

Nagle Hartray Architecture

30 W. Monroe St. (Inland Steel Building)

Located on the 7th floor of the landmarked Inland Steel Building, the architecture firm of … More

Nuveen Investments

333 W. Wacker / Nuveen Investments

333 W. Wacker Dr.

This dramatically curved, green-glass tower at the fork of the Chicago River houses the corporate … More

Palmer House

Palmer House

17 E. Monroe St.

One of Chicago’s most famous hotels, The Palmer House has been a Chicago mainstay since … More

Perkins+Will

Perkins+Will (courtesy of Steve Hall, Hedrich Blessing)

330 N. Wabash Ave. (IBM Plaza), Suite #3600

Perkins+Will occupy the 35th and 36th floors of the historic Mies van der Rohe-designed building … More

Pritzker Military Library

Prtizker Military Library

104 S. Michigan Ave. (Monroe Building)

The Pritzker Military Library features stunning interiors and is housed in floors two through four … More

RTKL Associates Inc.

RTKL Associates Inc. (courtesy of Patricia Parinejad)

200 S. Michigan Ave. (Borg Warner Building), Suite #1800

RTKL is housed on the 18th & 19th floors of the 22-floor International Style, Borg-Warner … More

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel

221 N. Columbus Dr. (Aqua)

Situated in Chicago’s iconic Aqua Tower designed by Jeanne Gang, the award-winning Radisson Blu Aqua … More

Randolph Tower City Apartments

Randolph Tower City Apartments

188 W. Randolph St.

Formally known as the Steuben Club Building, this 45-story terra cotta, Gothic Revival masterpiece designed … More

Richard J. Daley Center

Daley Center

50 W. Washington St.

Inspired by Mies van der Rohe, Jacques Brownson incorporated features distinctive of Chicago’s American Modernist … More

School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Sullivan Center

School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Sullivan Center

33 S. State St., 12th Floor

Sullivan Center is the historic site of Louis Sullivan’s masterpiece Carson Pirie Scott & Co. … More

Seventeenth Church of Christ, Scientist

Seventeenth Church of Christ, Scientist, Chicago

55 E. Wacker Dr.

Seventeenth Church of Christ, Scientist in Chicago was founded in 1924 and built its first … More

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP (SOM)

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP (SOM)

224 S. Michigan Ave. (Railway Exchange), Suite 1000

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM) is one of the leading architecture, interior design, engineering … More

Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership

Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership

610 S. Michigan Ave.

With its reflective, crystalline façade of folded glass, Krueck + Sexton’s award-winning Spertus Institute for … More

The Arts Club of Chicago

Arts Club

201 E. Ontario St.

The Arts Club of Chicago, founded in 1916, has occupied eight different architectural sites from … More

The Cliff Dwellers

The Cliff Dwellers (image courtesy of Larry Okrent)

200 S. Michigan Ave. (Borg Warner Building), 22nd floor

Cliff Dwellers sits on top of 220 S. Michigan Avenue, just under the iconic Borg … More

Thornton Tomasetti, Inc.

Thornton Tomasetti

330 N. Wabash Ave. (IBM Plaza)

Thornton Tomasetti, Inc. is an international leader in engineering design, investigation and analysis serving clients … More

Tribune Tower

Tribune Tower

435 N. Michigan Ave.

Designed by the winners of a Chicago Tribune contest--architects John Mead Howells and Raymond M. … More

University Club of Chicago

University Club of Chicago

76 E. Monroe St.

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** Officially chartered in 1887, the University Club was established by … More

VOA Associates Inc.

VOA Associates Inc.

224 S. Michigan Ave. (Railway Exchange), Suite #1400

VOA Associates Incorporated, founded in 1969, is an international design firm with offices located in … More

Wabash Tower, Roosevelt University

Roosevelt University Wabash Tower (courtesy of VOA Associates)

425 S. Wabash Ave.

Roosevelt University’s new Wabash Building is hard to miss, with its 32-story tower, a zig-zagging … More

William Jones College Preparatory High School

William Jones College Preparatory High School

700 S. State St.

This school year Jones College Prep will be opening the doors of their new massive … More

Wright Heerema Architects

Wright Heerema Architects

140 S. Dearborn St. (Marquette Building), Suite #200

Wright Heerema Architects is a Chicago-based architecture and interior design firm located on the second … More

theWit Hotel

theWit Hotel

201 N. State St.

This 250,000 square-foot hotel, constructed on a diminutive 68 foot by 140 foot lot, accommodates … More

1871

1871

222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza #1212 (Enter at 333 N. Orleans)

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** Located in the massive and historic Merchandise Mart, 1871 is … More

Bridgeport / Back of the Yards

Bridgeport and Back of the Yards, both neighborhoods with deep industrial roots, were instrumental to the growth of Chicago. Formerly known as Hardscrabble, Bridgeport housed the workers constructing the Illinois & Michigan Canal (completed 1848). As the Union Stock Yards grew into the largest livestock processing, distribution and meatpacking facility in the world, “Back of the Yards,” housed many of the Irish and German immigrants who worked in the nearby slaughterhouses, furnaces and factories. The canal (replaced by the larger Sanitary and Ship Canal in 1900) and the stockyards (closed in 1971) are long gone but their influence still remains. Steadily turning into two of Chicago’s most surprising neighborhoods, Bridgeport boasts artist galleries and thriving new coffee shops, while Back of the Yards is home to some of the most cutting-edge green technology and sustainable industry in the city.

Community Partners:

Public Media Institute

Back of the Yards Neighborhood Council

Testa Produce, Inc (courtesy of Mark Ballogg)

Decorators Supply Corp.

Decorators Supply Corp.

3610 S. Morgan St.

Decorators Supply Corporation traces its history back to 1883 when the original founders, Simon Strahn … More

Henry Palmisano Park (Stearns Quarry)

Henry Palmisano Park (Sterns Quarry)

2700 S. Halsted St.

Henry Palmisano Park was originally a privately-owned, 380-foot deep limestone quarry that opened in 1836 … More

Holy Cross Immaculate Heart of Mary

Holy Cross Immaculate Heart of Mary

1746 W. 46th St.

Holy Cross was founded in 1904 as a "national parish" for Lithuanians living in Back … More

Ling Shen Ching Tze Temple

Ling Shen Ching Tze Temple

1035 W. 31st St.

Designed in 1892 by John Wellborn Root (and completed after his death by Daniel Burnham … More

St. Mary of Perpetual Help Church

St. Mary of Perpetual Help

1039 W. 32nd St.

St. Mary of Perpetual Help Catholic Church was founded in 1882 to serve the Polish … More

Testa Produce, Inc.

Testa Produce, Inc.

4555 S. Racine Ave.

**Reservations Closed** Testa Produce, Inc. is a 100-year-old family owned and operated produce distributor for … More

The Plant

The Plant

1400 W. 46th St.

Originally a 93,500 square-foot meatpacking facility, The Plant is steadily developing into Chicago's premier Urban … More

Zhou B Art Center

Zhou B Art Center

1029 W. 35th St.

Zhou B Art Center is the brainchild of internationally acclaimed contemporary artists and brothers Shan … More

Zhou Brothers Art Foundation & Life Garden

Life Garden

3302 S. Morgan St.

Tiled in white marble with museum quality lighting and filled with exquisite examples of the … More

Garfield Park / North Lawndale

Garfield Park and North Lawndale are home to many unique and important buildings as well as large-scale public parks constructed during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These communities are currently working hard to reemerge from decades of out-migration and declining investment. Recently, small businesses and artists have discovered the benefits that these communities offer, such as easy access to transit. OHC features just some of the many new dynamic buildings and ornate historic structures that form the built environment of these communities.

Community Partners:

Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance

The Foundation for Homan Square

Sears Tower (original)

Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center—Power House High

Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center—Power House High

931 S. Homan Ave.

What was once a power plant built to provide electricity and heat for the massive … More

Garfield Park Conservatory

Garfield Park Conservatory

300 N. Central Park Ave.

When the Garfield Park Conservatory was completed in 1908 it was the largest greenhouse in … More

Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica

Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica (courtesy of Anne Evans)

3121 W. Jackson Blvd.

Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica is arguably the grandest church in the city and seats … More

Sears Tower (original)

Sears Tower (original)

900 S. Homan Ave.

When people think of the “Sears Tower” rarely does this 14-story structure in North Lawndale … More

Gold Coast

The Gold Coast has been home to Chicago’s civic and business elites for more than a century and presents many styles of architecture. Among the most exclusive neighborhoods in the country, it was home to the likes of the McCormicks, Potters, Ryersons and more. It is particularly notable for its late 19th-century mansions, many of which have been repurposed as cultural institutions. Buildings in the area include works by Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright, Dankmar Adler and Benjamin Marshall amongst many others. From mansions on Lake Shore Drive to some of Chicago's most notable religious institutions, the Gold Coast is packed with icons old and new.

Charnley-Persky House

Alliance Francaise

Alliance Francaise

810 N. Dearborn St.

This impressive grey-stone is a prime example of the Italianate row homes that lined Dearborn … More

Charnley-Persky House

 Charnley-Persky House (courtesy of James Caulfield)

1365 N. Astor St.

Designed by Louis Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright for James and Helen Charnley in 1891, … More

Fourth Presbyterian Church

Fourth Presbyterian Church

126 E. Chestnut St.

Fourth Presbyterian Church was designed by Ralph Adams Cram, America’s leading Gothic revival architect, and … More

Graham Foundation (Madlener House)

Graham Foundation (Madlener House)

4 W. Burton Pl.

The Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts, founded in 1956, makes project-based … More

Harvest Bible Chapel (formerly Scottish Rite Cathedral)

Harvest Bible Chapel (formerly Scottish Rite Cathedral)

935 N. Dearborn St.

This church—built in 1867 and designed by Theodore Vigo Wadskier—is touted as one of the … More

Holy Name Cathedral

Holy Name Cathedral (courtesy of Pierce Hutchings)

735 N. State St.

Rebuilt in the wake of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, Holy Name Cathedral is … More

International Museum of Surgical Science

International Museum of Surgical Science (photo courtesy of Michael Robinson)

1524 N. Lake Shore Dr.

Completed in 1917, the historic lakefront mansion that now houses the International Museum of Surgical … More

Newberry Library

Newberry Library

60 W. Walton St.

Recently having celebrated its 125th year, the Newberry Library is an independent research library concentrating … More

Palette & Chisel Academy of Fine Art

Palette and Chisel

1012 N. Dearborn St.

Chicago’s oldest art academy, and one of the oldest cooperatives in continuous existence in the … More

Poetry Foundation

Poetry Foundation

61 W. Superior St.

Designed by Chicago firm John Ronan Architects and completed in 2011, the building features a … More

Saint James Chapel at Archbishop Quigley Center

St. James Chapel at Archbishop Quigley Center

835 N. Rush St.

Built in 1917 by Steinbeck and McCarthy of New York, Quigley Seminary's St. James Chapel … More

The Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Chicago

The Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Chicago

1530 N. Lake Shore Drive

**Reservations Closed** The Polish Consulate General is one of the seven remaining mansions on North … More

Hyde Park

Just 6 miles south of downtown, Hyde Park was originally a modest commuter neighborhood with frequent train service to downtown. In the 1890s, the combined effects of annexation to the city of Chicago, the World’s Columbian Exposition and the establishment of the University of Chicago triggered a wave of development that included large numbers of residences, commercial buildings, civic structures, sacred spaces and enhanced transportation links. In the early twentieth century, the community became increasingly diverse with new Jewish and African-American residents. A wave of urban renewal in the 1960s spared many of the area’s most important historic buildings, which have since been augmented by significant new construction.

Community Partner:

South East Chicago Commission

[BLANK]

Blackstone Branch Library

Timothy Beach Blackstone Branch Library

4904 S. Lake Park Ave.

The Timothy Beach Blackstone Branch Library, designed by Solon S. Beman, was presented as a … More

DuSable Museum of African-American History

DuSable Museum of African-American History

740 E. 56th Pl.

Founded in 1961 by teacher and art historian Dr. Margaret Burroughs and other leading Chicago … More

Experimental Station

Experimental Station

6100 S. Blackstone Ave.

**Please Note: open hours have changed** Originally a garage from the 1920's, this adaptively reused … More

Frederick C. Robie House

Photo: Tim Long, Courtesy of Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust

5757 S. Woodlawn Ave.

A masterpiece of the Prairie style and a precursor of modernist architecture, the American Institute … More

Hyde Park Bank

Hyde Park Bank (courtesy of Michelle Litvin)

1525 E. 53rd St.

Designed by Karl Vitzthum, the Hyde Park Bank was the largest bank building outside of … More

Hyde Park Union Church

Hyde Park Union Church

5600 S. Woodlawn Ave.

Hyde Park Union Church moved into its current sanctuary in 1906. The sanctuary is noteworthy … More

KAM Isaiah Israel

KAM Isaiah Israel

1100 E. Hyde Park Blvd.

The oldest Jewish congregation in the Midwest, KAM (Kehilath Anshe Maarav) Isaiah Israel's current building … More

Powhatan Apartments

Powhatan Apartments

4950 S. Chicago Beach Dr.

The Powhatan is an exuberant and comprehensively detailed building among Chicago’s deco apartment houses. A … More

St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic Church

St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic Church (courtesy of Eric Rogers)

5472 S. Kimbark Ave.

St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic Parish has been an important landmark in Hyde Park … More

University of Chicago Child Development Center – Stony Island

University of Chicago Child Development Center – Stony Island (Courtesy of Steve Hall - Hedrich Blessing)

5824 S. Stony Island Ave.

One of the most recent projects by the local firm of Wheeler Kearns Architects, the … More

University of Chicago, Bond Chapel

University of Chicago, Bond Chapel

1025 E. 58th St.

A small Neo Gothic chapel with soaring stained glass windows, Bond Chapel is one of … More

University of Chicago, Oriental Institute

University of Chicago, Oriental Institute

1155 E. 58th St.

The Oriental Institute is a research organization and museum devoted to the study of the … More

University of Chicago, Regenstein & Mansueto Libraries

University of Chicago, Regenstein and Mansueto Libraries

1100 E. 57th St.

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** **Online Reservation Required** Designed by Helmut Jahn and opened in … More

University of Chicago, South Campus Chiller Plant

University of Chicago, South Campus Chiller Plant

6035 S. Blackstone Ave.

Designed by Helmut Jahn, this award winning 26,000 square-foot building opened in 2009. The building … More

Lincoln Park

One of Chicago’s most affulent communities, Lincoln Park shares a name with its sprawling lakefront park, re-named in 1865 to honor the assassinated president. Evidence of rebuilding from the Chicago Fire of 1871 can still be seen along Menomonee Street, a narrow alley just west of the park, which still retains much of its 1800s character. Lincoln Park became part of the city of Chicago with the annexation of Lake View in 1899. The neighborhood is home to several cultural institutions such as its zoo, one of the oldest in the United States (opened in 1868), Chicago History Museum, Peggy Notaebart Nature Museum (Chicago Academy of Sciences) and DePaul University (previously named St. Vincent's College).

Lincoln Park

Brewster Apartments

Brewster Apartments

2800 N. Pine Grove Ave.

Originally called the Lincoln Park Palace, the Brewster was commissioned by the publisher of American … More

Chicago History Museum

Chicago History Museum

1601 N. Clark St.

Founded in 1856, the Chicago History Museum is the city’s oldest cultural institution, continuously interpreting … More

Elks National Memorial

Elks National Memorial

2750 N. Lakeview Ave.

After World War I, a competition was held by the American Institute of Architects to … More

Howard Alan Architects

Howard Alan Architects

849 W. Armitage Ave. (enter through alley)

Howard Alan Architects specialize in organic architecture, passive and active solar and alternative energy conservation. … More

Lincoln Park Conservatory

Lincoln Park Conservatory

2391 N. Stockton Dr.

Constructed in phases between 1890 and 1895 the Lincoln Park Conservatory was designed by Joseph … More

Lincoln Park Zoo, Laflin Administration Building

Laflin Administration Building, Lincoln Park Zoo

2001 N. Clark St.

Named after Matthew Laflin, a gunpowder tycoon and philanthropist, the Laflin Memorial Building opened in … More

Midwest Buddhist Temple

Midwest Buddhist Temple

435 W. Menomonee St.

The Midwest Buddhist Temple began on July 10, 1944, with a service at the South … More

National Shrine of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini

National Shrine of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini

2520 N. Lakeview Ave.

Dedicated in 1955, the National Shrine of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini was designed by architect … More

Second Church of Christ, Scientist, Chicago

Second Church of Christ Scientist

2700 N. Pine Grove Ave.

Second Church of Christ, Scientist's Beaux Arts structure was designed by Solon S. Beman and … More

Sedgwick Studio

Sedgwick Studio

1544 N. Sedgwick St.

Most passengers at CTA’s Sedgwick station don’t realize they stand above history. Below the platform, … More

St. Clement Church

St. Clement Church

642 W. Deming Pl.

Designed by George D. Barnett during the revival of Byzantine-Italian Romanesque tradition, St. Clement was … More

The Moody Church

The Moody Church

1630 N. Clark St.

Designed by Fugard & Knapp and completed in 1925, The Moody Church is one of … More

Near West Side

Quickly becoming one of the most popular places to live, work, and eat, Chicago's Near West Side has changed drastically over its history. Originally served by the Lake Street Elevated (now the CTA Green Line) and the Metropolitan Elevated (roughly located along the current Eisenhower Expressway and CTA Blue Line), the Near West Side was home to some of Chicago's largest ethnic communities including the Ukranian Village, Greektown, Little Italy and Maxwell Street. Despite massive urban renewal and public works efforts—such as the building of the Eisenhower Expressway, University of Illinois Chicago, Circle Interchange, United Center, and the Illinois Medical District—many remnants of these ethnic enclaves still remain. Now transitioning from a warehouse and market district into a thriving urban area with popular restaurants and luxury condominiums, the Near West Side is turning into one of the most exciting areas in the city.

Near West Side

City Winery

City Winery

1200 W. Randolph St.

Once a refrigerated food distribution warehouse, City Winery has transformed this 1911 building into a … More

Columbian Model & Exhibit Works, Ltd.

Columbia Model & Exhibit Works, Ltd.

1528 W. Adams St.

For 23 years, Columbian Model & Exhibit Works has created quality models and exhibits for … More

Goose Island Beer Company

Goose Island Beer Company

1800 W. Fulton St.

Goose Island Beer Company was named after the city's famous man-made island just a mile … More

Prairie Material Concrete Production Facility

Prairie Material Concrete Production Facility

835 N. Peoria St.

Prairie Material’s concrete production facility has supplied the concrete for many of Chicago’s most iconic … More

St. John Cantius Church

St. John Cantius Church

825 N. Carpenter St.

St. John Cantius Church was designed by Adolphus Druiding and completed in 1898. The Church … More

Pilsen

Pilsen (named after a city in the Czech Republic) was established in the 1840s as one of Chicago’s earliest working-class immigrant communities. After the 1871 fire, the area drew large numbers of Bohemian migrants who found work in a burgeoning number of manufacturing plants. In the past six decades, the community has become increasingly defined by Mexican residents and a cultural milieu that includes public art, social justice activism and comprehensive community development. The long history of the community has resulted in a legacy of terrific buildings including churches, theaters, commercial sites, galleries and a unique housing stock.

Community Partners:

The Resurrection Project

Greater Pilsen Economic Development Association

Casa Aztlan

Hector Duarte's Studio and the Gulliver in Wonderland Mural

Hector Duarte's Studio and the Gulliver in Wonderland Mural

1900 W. Cullerton St.

Artist Hector Duarte was born in Mexico where he studied mural painting at the workshop … More

La Casa Student Housing and Resource Center

La Casa Student Housing and Resource Center

1815 S. Paulina St.

Designed by Pilsen architect, Patricia Saldana Natke of UrbanWorks Ltd., La Casa Student Housing opened … More

St. Adalbert Church

St. Adalbert Church

1650 W. 17th St.

Designed by Henry J. Schlacks and completed in 1914, St. Adalbert Church is a prime … More

St. Paul Church

St. Paul Church

2127 W. 22nd Pl.

St. Paul's Church was established by a small German community in 1876, with its cornerstone … More

St. Procopius Church

St. Procopius Church

1641 S. Allport St.

St. Procopius Catholic Church congregation was founded in 1875 to serve the Czech families in … More

Thalia Hall

Thalia Hall

1807 S. Allport St.

Thalia Hall was commissioned by Bohemian immigrant John Dusek and designed by Faber & Pagels … More

Prairie District

The Prairie District, a historic neighborhood just south of the Loop, became the city's most fashionable residential area after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. By the turn of the century, Prairie Avenue and Calumet Avenue featured more than 90 of the finest mansions in the city including those of George Pullman, Marshall Field, John J. Glessner and Philip Armour, creating the sobriquet “Millionaire's Row.” After a more industrial phase in the 20th century, in recent years, the Prairie District has reverted to an upscale Chicago neighborhood anchored by several remaining Gilded-Age mansions. The Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance (PDNA) provides representation for thousands of area residents.

Community Partner: Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance

Keith House

Clarke House Museum

Clarke House Museum (courtesy of Michael Beasley)

1827 S. Indiana Ave.

Clarke House is the oldest surviving structure in the city of Chicago and has operated … More

Glessner House Museum

Glessner House Museum (courtesy of William Tyre)

1800 S. Prairie Ave.

Glessner House is the urban residential masterpiece of H. H. Richardson and his last surviving … More

Keith House

Keith House

1900 S. Prairie Ave.

Named for the banker and merchant Elbridge Keith, who built the home - the Keith … More

Second Presbyterian Church

Second Presbyterian Church (courtesy of Martin Cheung)

1936 S. Michigan Ave.

Second Presbyterian, a National Historic Landmark church, was designed by James Renwick Jr. in the … More

The Wheeler Mansion

The Wheeler Mansion

2020 S. Calumet Ave.

The only surviving historic mansion on Calumet Avenue, the Wheeler Mansion was built in 1870 … More

Pullman

Quite possibly the most famous planned community in American history, Pullman was envisioned by George M. Pullman in 1880 as an all-inclusive model community to house the workers building his popular passenger rail cars. With leadership from architect Solon Spencer Beman, landscape architect Nathan Barrett, and civil engineer Benzette Williams, the city was built entirely by Pullman employees and finished in 1884. Pullman's plentiful park space, front and back porches, and iconic "two greens and dark red" color scheme contributed to Pullman being named the "World's Most Perfect Town" in 1896. Reduced wages and unchanged rents lead to a worker strike in 1894 that halted rail traffic and disrupted U.S. mail service, gaining national attention. The Historic Pullman Foundation and Pullman State Historic Site have overseen preservation of this 19th century development well into the 21st century.

Community Partners:

The Pullman State Historic Site

Historic Pullman Foundation

Pullman

A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum

A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum

10406 S. Maryland Ave.

The A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum (APRPPM) is the only African-American labor history museum … More

Greenstone United Methodist Church

Greenstone United Methodist Church

11211 S. St. Lawrence Ave.

Designed by Solon Beman, the Greenstone Church features a unique façade of green stone quarried … More

Historic Pullman Center

Historic Pullman Center

614 E. 113th St.

Originally constructed as Block House "R", this historic Pullman building once included several small apartments. … More

Historic Pullman Foundation Visitor Center

Historic Pullman Foundation Visitor Center

11141 S. Cottage Grove Ave.

On the site of the former Pullman Arcade Building (1881-1927) the Visitor Center is the … More

Pullman State Historic Site - Factory Complex

Pullman State Historic Site - Factory Complex

11057 S. Cottage Grove Ave.

Completed in the early 1880’s, the Pullman factory complex was central to the manufacturing and … More

Pullman State Historic Site - Hotel Florence

Pullman State Historic Site - Hotel Florence

11111 S. Forrestville Ave.

Hotel Florence is one of the surviving jewels of the historic Pullman community developed by … More

Rogers Park / West Ridge

Annexed by Chicago in 1893, Rogers Park and West Ridge are often confused as one neighborhood but are actually two distinct communities with much in common. Rogers Park and West Ridge share tremendous diversity and a history of activism. From the Bohemian leanings of Rogers Park to the West Ridge community organizations that fought to build Warren Park, people from all backgrounds are involved in local, regional and worldwide issues. The communities have seen a near-constant influx of new Americans, new Chicagoans and new neighbors. With that diversity comes a great variety of language, culture, food and opinion as well as unique buildings—both historic and contemporary.

Community Partners:

Rogers Park / West Ridge Historical Society

Rogers Park Business Alliance

Casa Bonita

Casa Bonita

Casa Bonita

7340-7350 N. Ridge Blvd.

Bedecked in glistening white terra cotta spiraling columns, lavish ornament and an extravagant courtyard, Casa … More

Emil Bach House

Emil Bach House

7415 N. Sheridan Rd.

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1915, the Emil Bach House is a compact Prairie … More

Park Castle Apartments

Park Castle, Apt. #2 on Indian Boundary Park

2416-2458 W. Greenleaf Ave.

First opened in 1925, this crenelated structure was designed by architect Jens J. Jensen -- … More

St. Scholastica Monastery Chapel

St. Scholastica Monastery Chapel

7430 N. Ridge Ave.

St. Scholastica Monastery opened its doors on North Ridge Boulevard in 1906 and has played … More

South Shore

The 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition (World’s Fair) sparked one of the first developments in this community. Several wealthy Chicagoans literally moved their homes to South Shore to make way for the fair in Jackson Park. A second major wave of development followed the construction of the South Shore Country Club (now the cultural center). Beautiful homes and apartment buildings were constructed for club members along South Shore Drive and the Jackson Park Highlands. Home to two golf courses, amazing residential buildings and extensive park facilities, South Shore’s amenities reflect its historic past. The community is currently undergoing significant revitalization, especially on the Lake Michigan coast, including a visionary redevelopment of the former U.S. Steel Works site.

Community Partner: South Shore Chamber, Inc.

The Chicago Architecture Foundation's partnership with the South Shore community is sponsored by Allstate

South Shore Cultural Center

Chicago Lakeside Development

Chicago Lakeside Development

8555 S. Green Bay Ave.

Chicago Lakeside is the site of the largest future urban development in the United States. … More

Coastland

Coastland

2666 E. 73rd St.

This beautiful, lakefront cooperative was designed in 1928 by architect Charles Draper Faulkner, the prolific … More

Dorchester Projects

Dorchester Projects

6916 and 6901 S. Dorchester Ave.

Founded by Chicago artist, Theaster Gates, Dorchester Projects consists of three neighboring buildings on Dorchester … More

Mosque Maryam

Mosque Maryam

7351 S. Stony Island Ave.

Built in 1948 as St. Constantine the Greek Orthodox Church and modeled after the Hagia … More

Rainbow Beach Victory Gardens

Rainbow Beach Victory Gardens

7900 S. South Shore Dr.

Hidden behind a six foot iron fence and dense hedgerows is a secret garden. Established … More

Saint Luke Missionary Baptist Church

Saint Luke Missionary Baptist Church

7262 S. Coles Ave.

Originally built in 1927 as the 18th Church of Christ Scientist, St. Luke Missionary Baptist … More

South Shore Cultural Center

South Shore Cultural Center

7059 S. Shore Dr.

This grand 1905 Mediterranean Revival style building designed by Marshall and Fox, operated as an … More

South Shore International College Prep

South Shore International College Prep

1955 E. 75th St.

Implementing the new CPS Urban Model High School prototype design, this 200,000 sf, three floor … More

St. Philip Neri Church

St. Philip Neri Church (photo courtesy of Eric Rogers)

2132 E. 72nd St.

Designed by prolific Chicago church architect Joseph W. McCarthy and completed in 1926, St. Philip … More

Windsor Beach Apartments

Windsor Beach Apartments (photo courtesy of Eric Rogers)

7321 S. South Shore Dr.

This distinctive 13-story building in the shape of a Maltese Cross was designed by Robert … More

Uptown

Uptown is a richly-diverse neighborhood on Chicago’s north side that features ornate historic structures dating from Uptown's heyday as an entertainment destination in the 1920s and 1930s. Before the film industry went west to Hollywood, Uptown was the home of well-known early film stars including Charlie Chaplin and Gloria Swanson. Uptown's historic legacies, fantastic music and incredible dining scene make it a mecca for urban exploration and world-class entertainment.

Community Partner: Uptown United

Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation

1050 W. Wilson Ave.

1050 W. Wilson Ave.

1050 W. Wilson Ave.

Designed by architect Henry L. Ottenheimer and opened in 1908, the three-story, 15,000-square-foot building at … More

Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation

Agudas Achim (courtesy of Susanne Helmert)

5029 N. Kenmore Ave.

One of Chicago's grandest synagogues, Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation is rarely open to the … More

Bridgeview Bank

Bridgeview Bank (courtesy of David Suarez)

4753 N. Broadway Ave.

This dramatically curved neo classical building has been an icon in Uptown since the completion … More

Essanay Studios (St. Augustine College)

St. Augustine College (Essanay Studios)

1333-45 W. Argyle St.

Best known for its 1915 series of Charlie Chaplin comedies, Essanay Film Manufacturing's Chicago studio … More

Friendly Towers (Chelsea Hotel)

Friendly Towers (Chelsea Hotel)

920 W. Wilson

Friendly Towers was originally the 10-story Chelsea Hotel, constructed in 1923 and designed by architect … More

Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club

Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club at Clarendon Park Community Center

4501 N. Clarendon Ave.

One of the largest model railroads in the country, the Garfield Central Railroad is a … More

Green Mill

Green Mill

4802 N. Broadway Ave.

One of Uptown’s most historic spots, the Green Mill Cocktail Lounge (formerly Pop Morse's Roadhouse … More

ICA GreenRise

4750 GreenRise Uptown

4750 N. Sheridan Rd.

Originally a four story structure built for the Mutual Insurance Company by Fugard & Knapp … More

Preston Bradley Center (The People's Church)

Preston Bradley Center/The People's Church

941 W. Lawrence Ave.

The People's Church of Chicago was completed in 1926 and designed by renowned theatre architect … More

Sheridan Plaza Apartments (Sheridan Plaza Hotel)

Sheridan Plaza Apartments (Sheridan Plaza Hotel)

4607 N. Sheridan Rd.

Designed by Walter Ahlschlager in 1920, the Sheridan Plaza Hotel was one of the buildings … More

1050 W. Wilson Ave.

1050 W. Wilson Ave.

1050 W. Wilson Ave.

Designed by architect Henry L. Ottenheimer and opened in 1908, the three-story, 15,000-square-foot building at … More

A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum

A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum

10406 S. Maryland Ave.

The A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum (APRPPM) is the only African-American labor history museum … More

Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture

Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture

111 W. Monroe St.

Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture is dedicated to the design of high-performance, energy-efficient and … More

Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation

Agudas Achim (courtesy of Susanne Helmert)

5029 N. Kenmore Ave.

One of Chicago's grandest synagogues, Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation is rarely open to the … More

Alliance Francaise

Alliance Francaise

810 N. Dearborn St.

This impressive grey-stone is a prime example of the Italianate row homes that lined Dearborn … More

Arup

Arup

35 E. Wacker Dr. (Jewelers Building)

Founded in 1946, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the … More

Auditorium Building, Roosevelt University

Roosevelt University Auditorium Building

430 S. Michigan Ave.

When first built in 1889, many referred to the Auditorium Building as the eighth wonder … More

Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University

Auditorium Theater

50 E. Congress Pkwy.

A National Historic Landmark, the Auditorium Theatre is known internationally for its perfect acoustics, innovative … More

Berghoff Restaurant

Berghoff Restaurant

17 W. Adams St.

German immigrant Herman Joseph Berghoff opened Chicago’s original Berghoff Café in 1898. The restaurant’s adjoining … More

Blackstone Branch Library

Timothy Beach Blackstone Branch Library

4904 S. Lake Park Ave.

The Timothy Beach Blackstone Branch Library, designed by Solon S. Beman, was presented as a … More

Blackstone Renaissance Hotel

Blackstone Renaissance Hotel

636 S. Michigan Ave.

The Blackstone Hotel is a bona fide Chicago landmark – a beautiful, historic building with … More

Brewster Apartments

Brewster Apartments

2800 N. Pine Grove Ave.

Originally called the Lincoln Park Palace, the Brewster was commissioned by the publisher of American … More

Bridgeview Bank

Bridgeview Bank (courtesy of David Suarez)

4753 N. Broadway Ave.

This dramatically curved neo classical building has been an icon in Uptown since the completion … More

Casa Bonita

Casa Bonita

7340-7350 N. Ridge Blvd.

Bedecked in glistening white terra cotta spiraling columns, lavish ornament and an extravagant courtyard, Casa … More

Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center—Power House High

Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center—Power House High

931 S. Homan Ave.

What was once a power plant built to provide electricity and heat for the massive … More

Charnley-Persky House

 Charnley-Persky House (courtesy of James Caulfield)

1365 N. Astor St.

Designed by Louis Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright for James and Helen Charnley in 1891, … More

Chicago Architecture Foundation

Chicago Architecture Foundation

224 S. Michigan Ave. (Railway Exchange)

The Chicago Architecture Foundation (CAF) is proud to present the third-annual Open House Chicago. CAF … More

Chicago Board of Trade Building

Chicago Board of Trade Building

141 W. Jackson Blvd.

The Chicago Board of Trade Building was built by Holabird and Root in 1930. The … More

Chicago History Museum

Chicago History Museum

1601 N. Clark St.

Founded in 1856, the Chicago History Museum is the city’s oldest cultural institution, continuously interpreting … More

Chicago Lakeside Development

Chicago Lakeside Development

8555 S. Green Bay Ave.

Chicago Lakeside is the site of the largest future urban development in the United States. … More

Chicago Temple (First United Methodist Church)

First United Methodist Church (Chicago Temple Building)

77 W. Washington St.

The Chicago Temple, a 568-foot tall skyscraper, is a neo-Gothic monument to the Methodists’ commitment … More

Chicago Transit Authority Headquarters Building

Chicago Transit Authority Headquarters Building

567 W. Lake St.

The CTA headquarters, designed by Kachoris Altay Architects and completed in 2004, was built to … More

City Hall

City Hall

121 N. La Salle St.

Occupying the western half of the City/County Building, the 1911 Holabird & Roche monumental neo-classical, … More

City Winery

City Winery

1200 W. Randolph St.

Once a refrigerated food distribution warehouse, City Winery has transformed this 1911 building into a … More

Clarke House Museum

Clarke House Museum (courtesy of Michael Beasley)

1827 S. Indiana Ave.

Clarke House is the oldest surviving structure in the city of Chicago and has operated … More

Clayco & Forum Studio

Clayco & Forum Studio

35 E. Wacker Dr. (Jewelers Building)

Located in the historic Jewelers Building, the new offices of Clayco and Forum Studio feature … More

Coastland

Coastland

2666 E. 73rd St.

This beautiful, lakefront cooperative was designed in 1928 by architect Charles Draper Faulkner, the prolific … More

Columbia Yacht Club

Columbia Yacht Club

111 N. Lake Shore Dr.

Since 1892, Columbia Yacht Club—located where Randolph Street meets the Lake Michigan shoreline—has long been … More

Columbian Model & Exhibit Works, Ltd.

Columbia Model & Exhibit Works, Ltd.

1528 W. Adams St.

For 23 years, Columbian Model & Exhibit Works has created quality models and exhibits for … More

DIRTT Environmental Solutions

DIRTT Environmental Solutions

325 N. Wells St. Suite 1000

Built on the top of Gustav Hallberg's 1912 Chase & Sanborn Coffee Company Warehouse building, … More

Decorators Supply Corp.

Decorators Supply Corp.

3610 S. Morgan St.

Decorators Supply Corporation traces its history back to 1883 when the original founders, Simon Strahn … More

Dorchester Projects

Dorchester Projects

6916 and 6901 S. Dorchester Ave.

Founded by Chicago artist, Theaster Gates, Dorchester Projects consists of three neighboring buildings on Dorchester … More

DuSable Museum of African-American History

DuSable Museum of African-American History

740 E. 56th Pl.

Founded in 1961 by teacher and art historian Dr. Margaret Burroughs and other leading Chicago … More

Elks National Memorial

Elks National Memorial

2750 N. Lakeview Ave.

After World War I, a competition was held by the American Institute of Architects to … More

Emil Bach House

Emil Bach House

7415 N. Sheridan Rd.

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1915, the Emil Bach House is a compact Prairie … More

Essanay Studios (St. Augustine College)

St. Augustine College (Essanay Studios)

1333-45 W. Argyle St.

Best known for its 1915 series of Charlie Chaplin comedies, Essanay Film Manufacturing's Chicago studio … More

Experimental Station

Experimental Station

6100 S. Blackstone Ave.

**Please Note: open hours have changed** Originally a garage from the 1920's, this adaptively reused … More

Fine Arts Building

Fine Arts Building

410 S. Michigan Ave.

Originally designed as a carriage assembly and showroom for the Studebaker Company by Solon Spencer … More

Fisher Building

Fisher Building

343 S. Dearborn St.

The 18-story gothic-inspired Fisher Building designed by Charles Atwood of Burnham & Co. is distinguished … More

Fourth Presbyterian Church

Fourth Presbyterian Church

126 E. Chestnut St.

Fourth Presbyterian Church was designed by Ralph Adams Cram, America’s leading Gothic revival architect, and … More

Frederick C. Robie House

Photo: Tim Long, Courtesy of Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust

5757 S. Woodlawn Ave.

A masterpiece of the Prairie style and a precursor of modernist architecture, the American Institute … More

Friendly Towers (Chelsea Hotel)

Friendly Towers (Chelsea Hotel)

920 W. Wilson

Friendly Towers was originally the 10-story Chelsea Hotel, constructed in 1923 and designed by architect … More

Garfield Park Conservatory

Garfield Park Conservatory

300 N. Central Park Ave.

When the Garfield Park Conservatory was completed in 1908 it was the largest greenhouse in … More

Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club

Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club at Clarendon Park Community Center

4501 N. Clarendon Ave.

One of the largest model railroads in the country, the Garfield Central Railroad is a … More

Gensler

Gensler

11 E. Madison St. (Sullivan Center)

Located on the third floor of the Louis Sullivan-designed Carson Pirie Scott & Co. building … More

Glessner House Museum

Glessner House Museum (courtesy of William Tyre)

1800 S. Prairie Ave.

Glessner House is the urban residential masterpiece of H. H. Richardson and his last surviving … More

Goettsch Partners

Goettsch Partners

224 S. Michigan Ave. (Railway Exchange), 17th Floor

Goettsch Partners is a Chicago-based architectural firm that practices internationally, with additional offices in Shanghai … More

Goose Island Beer Company

Goose Island Beer Company

1800 W. Fulton St.

Goose Island Beer Company was named after the city's famous man-made island just a mile … More

Graham Foundation (Madlener House)

Graham Foundation (Madlener House)

4 W. Burton Pl.

The Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts, founded in 1956, makes project-based … More

Green Mill

Green Mill

4802 N. Broadway Ave.

One of Uptown’s most historic spots, the Green Mill Cocktail Lounge (formerly Pop Morse's Roadhouse … More

Greenstone United Methodist Church

Greenstone United Methodist Church

11211 S. St. Lawrence Ave.

Designed by Solon Beman, the Greenstone Church features a unique façade of green stone quarried … More

HOK

HOK

60 E. Van Buren St. (CNA Building), 14th Floor

HOK is a global design, architecture, engineering and planning firm established in 1955. The firm … More

Harvest Bible Chapel (formerly Scottish Rite Cathedral)

Harvest Bible Chapel (formerly Scottish Rite Cathedral)

935 N. Dearborn St.

This church—built in 1867 and designed by Theodore Vigo Wadskier—is touted as one of the … More

Hector Duarte's Studio and the Gulliver in Wonderland Mural

Hector Duarte's Studio and the Gulliver in Wonderland Mural

1900 W. Cullerton St.

Artist Hector Duarte was born in Mexico where he studied mural painting at the workshop … More

Henry Palmisano Park (Stearns Quarry)

Henry Palmisano Park (Sterns Quarry)

2700 S. Halsted St.

Henry Palmisano Park was originally a privately-owned, 380-foot deep limestone quarry that opened in 1836 … More

Historic Pullman Center

Historic Pullman Center

614 E. 113th St.

Originally constructed as Block House "R", this historic Pullman building once included several small apartments. … More

Historic Pullman Foundation Visitor Center

Historic Pullman Foundation Visitor Center

11141 S. Cottage Grove Ave.

On the site of the former Pullman Arcade Building (1881-1927) the Visitor Center is the … More

Holabird & Root

Holabird & Root

140 S Dearborn St. (Marquette Building), Suite #410

Located in the Marquette Building, Holabird & Root was founded in Chicago in 1880. The … More

Holy Cross Immaculate Heart of Mary

Holy Cross Immaculate Heart of Mary

1746 W. 46th St.

Holy Cross was founded in 1904 as a "national parish" for Lithuanians living in Back … More

Holy Name Cathedral

Holy Name Cathedral (courtesy of Pierce Hutchings)

735 N. State St.

Rebuilt in the wake of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, Holy Name Cathedral is … More

House of Blues

House of Blues, Foundation Room

329 N. Dearborn St.

Acclaimed modernist architect Bertrand Goldberg was the genius behind Chicago's iconic Marina City complex (1959-1967) … More

Howard Alan Architects

Howard Alan Architects

849 W. Armitage Ave. (enter through alley)

Howard Alan Architects specialize in organic architecture, passive and active solar and alternative energy conservation. … More

Hyde Park Bank

Hyde Park Bank (courtesy of Michelle Litvin)

1525 E. 53rd St.

Designed by Karl Vitzthum, the Hyde Park Bank was the largest bank building outside of … More

Hyde Park Union Church

Hyde Park Union Church

5600 S. Woodlawn Ave.

Hyde Park Union Church moved into its current sanctuary in 1906. The sanctuary is noteworthy … More

IA Interior Architects

IA Interior Architects

104 S. Michigan Ave. (Mornoe Building), suite 1200

Located on the 12th floor of the Holabird and Roche designed Monroe building, IA was … More

ICA GreenRise

4750 GreenRise Uptown

4750 N. Sheridan Rd.

Originally a four story structure built for the Mutual Insurance Company by Fugard & Knapp … More

International Museum of Surgical Science

International Museum of Surgical Science (photo courtesy of Michael Robinson)

1524 N. Lake Shore Dr.

Completed in 1917, the historic lakefront mansion that now houses the International Museum of Surgical … More

JAHN

JAHN

35 E. Wacker Dr. (Jewelers Building)

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** Housed in the landmarked former Jewelers Building, JAHN is a … More

JGMA

JGMA

218 S. Wabash St. Suite 200

JGMA—a progressive architecture and design practice lead by Juan Gabriel Moreno, AIA—is responsible for award … More

Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park

Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park

201 E. Randolph St.

The focal point of Millennium Park and the favored gathering spot of Chicagoans, Frank Gehry's … More

KAM Isaiah Israel

KAM Isaiah Israel

1100 E. Hyde Park Blvd.

The oldest Jewish congregation in the Midwest, KAM (Kehilath Anshe Maarav) Isaiah Israel's current building … More

Keith House

Keith House

1900 S. Prairie Ave.

Named for the banker and merchant Elbridge Keith, who built the home - the Keith … More

Kemper Building

Kemper Building (courtesy of Pete Hill)

One East Wacker Drive

The Kemper Building was the world’s tallest marble-clad office building when it opened - and … More

La Casa Student Housing and Resource Center

La Casa Student Housing and Resource Center

1815 S. Paulina St.

Designed by Pilsen architect, Patricia Saldana Natke of UrbanWorks Ltd., La Casa Student Housing opened … More

Langham Hotel Chicago

Langham Hotel

330 N. Wabash Ave. (IBM Plaza)

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** **Online Reservation Required** The newest North American addition to Langham … More

Lincoln Park Conservatory

Lincoln Park Conservatory

2391 N. Stockton Dr.

Constructed in phases between 1890 and 1895 the Lincoln Park Conservatory was designed by Joseph … More

Lincoln Park Zoo, Laflin Administration Building

Laflin Administration Building, Lincoln Park Zoo

2001 N. Clark St.

Named after Matthew Laflin, a gunpowder tycoon and philanthropist, the Laflin Memorial Building opened in … More

Ling Shen Ching Tze Temple

Ling Shen Ching Tze Temple

1035 W. 31st St.

Designed in 1892 by John Wellborn Root (and completed after his death by Daniel Burnham … More

Loop Synagogue

Loop Synagogue (courtesy of Phil Moss)

16 S. Clark St.

The Chicago Loop Synagogue was founded in 1929 to serve the religious needs of Orthodox … More

Lyric Opera of Chicago - Civic Opera House

Civic Opera House

20 N. Wacker Dr.

Home to the internationally renowned Lyric Opera of Chicago, this throne-shaped 49-story building features Art … More

MDA Chicago City Apartments

MDA Chicago City Apartments

63 E. Lake St.

An early 20th c., 24-story office building designed by Daniel Burnham Jr., 63 E. Lake … More

Marquette Building presented by MacArthur Foundation

MacArthur Foundation, Marquette Building

140 S. Dearborn St.

Restored in 2001 by the MacArthur Foundation, the Marquette Building is one of the most … More

McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum

McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum

376 N. Michigan Ave. Riverwalk Level

The 1920, 5-story, 1,400 square-foot bridgehouse, designed by Edward Bennett, was embellished in 1928 with … More

Metropolitan Club at Willis Tower

Metropolitan Club

233 S. Wacker Drive, 67th Floor (enter on Franklin)

Located on the 66th and 67th floors of the iconic Willis Tower, The Metropolitan Club … More

Midwest Buddhist Temple

Midwest Buddhist Temple

435 W. Menomonee St.

The Midwest Buddhist Temple began on July 10, 1944, with a service at the South … More

Monroe Building

Monroe Building (courtesy of Mark Ballogg)

104 S. Michigan Ave.

Designed by Holabird and Roche, this 1912 Romanesque-inspired 16-story, steel frame building is clad in … More

Mosque Maryam

Mosque Maryam

7351 S. Stony Island Ave.

Built in 1948 as St. Constantine the Greek Orthodox Church and modeled after the Hagia … More

NELSON

NELSON

30 W. Monroe St. (Inland Steel Building)

NELSON is an interior design and architecture firm located in the landmarked Inland Steel Building. … More

Nagle Hartray Architecture

Nagle Hartray Architecture

30 W. Monroe St. (Inland Steel Building)

Located on the 7th floor of the landmarked Inland Steel Building, the architecture firm of … More

National Shrine of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini

National Shrine of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini

2520 N. Lakeview Ave.

Dedicated in 1955, the National Shrine of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini was designed by architect … More

Newberry Library

Newberry Library

60 W. Walton St.

Recently having celebrated its 125th year, the Newberry Library is an independent research library concentrating … More

Nuveen Investments

333 W. Wacker / Nuveen Investments

333 W. Wacker Dr.

This dramatically curved, green-glass tower at the fork of the Chicago River houses the corporate … More

Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica

Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica (courtesy of Anne Evans)

3121 W. Jackson Blvd.

Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica is arguably the grandest church in the city and seats … More

Palette & Chisel Academy of Fine Art

Palette and Chisel

1012 N. Dearborn St.

Chicago’s oldest art academy, and one of the oldest cooperatives in continuous existence in the … More

Palmer House

Palmer House

17 E. Monroe St.

One of Chicago’s most famous hotels, The Palmer House has been a Chicago mainstay since … More

Park Castle Apartments

Park Castle, Apt. #2 on Indian Boundary Park

2416-2458 W. Greenleaf Ave.

First opened in 1925, this crenelated structure was designed by architect Jens J. Jensen -- … More

Perkins+Will

Perkins+Will (courtesy of Steve Hall, Hedrich Blessing)

330 N. Wabash Ave. (IBM Plaza), Suite #3600

Perkins+Will occupy the 35th and 36th floors of the historic Mies van der Rohe-designed building … More

Poetry Foundation

Poetry Foundation

61 W. Superior St.

Designed by Chicago firm John Ronan Architects and completed in 2011, the building features a … More

Powhatan Apartments

Powhatan Apartments

4950 S. Chicago Beach Dr.

The Powhatan is an exuberant and comprehensively detailed building among Chicago’s deco apartment houses. A … More

Prairie Material Concrete Production Facility

Prairie Material Concrete Production Facility

835 N. Peoria St.

Prairie Material’s concrete production facility has supplied the concrete for many of Chicago’s most iconic … More

Preston Bradley Center (The People's Church)

Preston Bradley Center/The People's Church

941 W. Lawrence Ave.

The People's Church of Chicago was completed in 1926 and designed by renowned theatre architect … More

Pritzker Military Library

Prtizker Military Library

104 S. Michigan Ave. (Monroe Building)

The Pritzker Military Library features stunning interiors and is housed in floors two through four … More

Pullman State Historic Site - Factory Complex

Pullman State Historic Site - Factory Complex

11057 S. Cottage Grove Ave.

Completed in the early 1880’s, the Pullman factory complex was central to the manufacturing and … More

Pullman State Historic Site - Hotel Florence

Pullman State Historic Site - Hotel Florence

11111 S. Forrestville Ave.

Hotel Florence is one of the surviving jewels of the historic Pullman community developed by … More

RTKL Associates Inc.

RTKL Associates Inc. (courtesy of Patricia Parinejad)

200 S. Michigan Ave. (Borg Warner Building), Suite #1800

RTKL is housed on the 18th & 19th floors of the 22-floor International Style, Borg-Warner … More

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel

221 N. Columbus Dr. (Aqua)

Situated in Chicago’s iconic Aqua Tower designed by Jeanne Gang, the award-winning Radisson Blu Aqua … More

Rainbow Beach Victory Gardens

Rainbow Beach Victory Gardens

7900 S. South Shore Dr.

Hidden behind a six foot iron fence and dense hedgerows is a secret garden. Established … More

Randolph Tower City Apartments

Randolph Tower City Apartments

188 W. Randolph St.

Formally known as the Steuben Club Building, this 45-story terra cotta, Gothic Revival masterpiece designed … More

Richard J. Daley Center

Daley Center

50 W. Washington St.

Inspired by Mies van der Rohe, Jacques Brownson incorporated features distinctive of Chicago’s American Modernist … More

Saint James Chapel at Archbishop Quigley Center

St. James Chapel at Archbishop Quigley Center

835 N. Rush St.

Built in 1917 by Steinbeck and McCarthy of New York, Quigley Seminary's St. James Chapel … More

Saint Luke Missionary Baptist Church

Saint Luke Missionary Baptist Church

7262 S. Coles Ave.

Originally built in 1927 as the 18th Church of Christ Scientist, St. Luke Missionary Baptist … More

School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Sullivan Center

School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Sullivan Center

33 S. State St., 12th Floor

Sullivan Center is the historic site of Louis Sullivan’s masterpiece Carson Pirie Scott & Co. … More

Sears Tower (original)

Sears Tower (original)

900 S. Homan Ave.

When people think of the “Sears Tower” rarely does this 14-story structure in North Lawndale … More

Second Church of Christ, Scientist, Chicago

Second Church of Christ Scientist

2700 N. Pine Grove Ave.

Second Church of Christ, Scientist's Beaux Arts structure was designed by Solon S. Beman and … More

Second Presbyterian Church

Second Presbyterian Church (courtesy of Martin Cheung)

1936 S. Michigan Ave.

Second Presbyterian, a National Historic Landmark church, was designed by James Renwick Jr. in the … More

Sedgwick Studio

Sedgwick Studio

1544 N. Sedgwick St.

Most passengers at CTA’s Sedgwick station don’t realize they stand above history. Below the platform, … More

Seventeenth Church of Christ, Scientist

Seventeenth Church of Christ, Scientist, Chicago

55 E. Wacker Dr.

Seventeenth Church of Christ, Scientist in Chicago was founded in 1924 and built its first … More

Sheridan Plaza Apartments (Sheridan Plaza Hotel)

Sheridan Plaza Apartments (Sheridan Plaza Hotel)

4607 N. Sheridan Rd.

Designed by Walter Ahlschlager in 1920, the Sheridan Plaza Hotel was one of the buildings … More

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP (SOM)

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP (SOM)

224 S. Michigan Ave. (Railway Exchange), Suite 1000

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM) is one of the leading architecture, interior design, engineering … More

South Shore Cultural Center

South Shore Cultural Center

7059 S. Shore Dr.

This grand 1905 Mediterranean Revival style building designed by Marshall and Fox, operated as an … More

South Shore International College Prep

South Shore International College Prep

1955 E. 75th St.

Implementing the new CPS Urban Model High School prototype design, this 200,000 sf, three floor … More

Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership

Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership

610 S. Michigan Ave.

With its reflective, crystalline façade of folded glass, Krueck + Sexton’s award-winning Spertus Institute for … More

St. Adalbert Church

St. Adalbert Church

1650 W. 17th St.

Designed by Henry J. Schlacks and completed in 1914, St. Adalbert Church is a prime … More

St. Clement Church

St. Clement Church

642 W. Deming Pl.

Designed by George D. Barnett during the revival of Byzantine-Italian Romanesque tradition, St. Clement was … More

St. John Cantius Church

St. John Cantius Church

825 N. Carpenter St.

St. John Cantius Church was designed by Adolphus Druiding and completed in 1898. The Church … More

St. Mary of Perpetual Help Church

St. Mary of Perpetual Help

1039 W. 32nd St.

St. Mary of Perpetual Help Catholic Church was founded in 1882 to serve the Polish … More

St. Paul Church

St. Paul Church

2127 W. 22nd Pl.

St. Paul's Church was established by a small German community in 1876, with its cornerstone … More

St. Philip Neri Church

St. Philip Neri Church (photo courtesy of Eric Rogers)

2132 E. 72nd St.

Designed by prolific Chicago church architect Joseph W. McCarthy and completed in 1926, St. Philip … More

St. Procopius Church

St. Procopius Church

1641 S. Allport St.

St. Procopius Catholic Church congregation was founded in 1875 to serve the Czech families in … More

St. Scholastica Monastery Chapel

St. Scholastica Monastery Chapel

7430 N. Ridge Ave.

St. Scholastica Monastery opened its doors on North Ridge Boulevard in 1906 and has played … More

St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic Church

St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic Church (courtesy of Eric Rogers)

5472 S. Kimbark Ave.

St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic Parish has been an important landmark in Hyde Park … More

Testa Produce, Inc.

Testa Produce, Inc.

4555 S. Racine Ave.

**Reservations Closed** Testa Produce, Inc. is a 100-year-old family owned and operated produce distributor for … More

Thalia Hall

Thalia Hall

1807 S. Allport St.

Thalia Hall was commissioned by Bohemian immigrant John Dusek and designed by Faber & Pagels … More

The Arts Club of Chicago

Arts Club

201 E. Ontario St.

The Arts Club of Chicago, founded in 1916, has occupied eight different architectural sites from … More

The Cliff Dwellers

The Cliff Dwellers (image courtesy of Larry Okrent)

200 S. Michigan Ave. (Borg Warner Building), 22nd floor

Cliff Dwellers sits on top of 220 S. Michigan Avenue, just under the iconic Borg … More

The Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Chicago

The Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Chicago

1530 N. Lake Shore Drive

**Reservations Closed** The Polish Consulate General is one of the seven remaining mansions on North … More

The Moody Church

The Moody Church

1630 N. Clark St.

Designed by Fugard & Knapp and completed in 1925, The Moody Church is one of … More

The Plant

The Plant

1400 W. 46th St.

Originally a 93,500 square-foot meatpacking facility, The Plant is steadily developing into Chicago's premier Urban … More

The Wheeler Mansion

The Wheeler Mansion

2020 S. Calumet Ave.

The only surviving historic mansion on Calumet Avenue, the Wheeler Mansion was built in 1870 … More

Thornton Tomasetti, Inc.

Thornton Tomasetti

330 N. Wabash Ave. (IBM Plaza)

Thornton Tomasetti, Inc. is an international leader in engineering design, investigation and analysis serving clients … More

Tribune Tower

Tribune Tower

435 N. Michigan Ave.

Designed by the winners of a Chicago Tribune contest--architects John Mead Howells and Raymond M. … More

University Club of Chicago

University Club of Chicago

76 E. Monroe St.

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** Officially chartered in 1887, the University Club was established by … More

University of Chicago Child Development Center – Stony Island

University of Chicago Child Development Center – Stony Island (Courtesy of Steve Hall - Hedrich Blessing)

5824 S. Stony Island Ave.

One of the most recent projects by the local firm of Wheeler Kearns Architects, the … More

University of Chicago, Bond Chapel

University of Chicago, Bond Chapel

1025 E. 58th St.

A small Neo Gothic chapel with soaring stained glass windows, Bond Chapel is one of … More

University of Chicago, Oriental Institute

University of Chicago, Oriental Institute

1155 E. 58th St.

The Oriental Institute is a research organization and museum devoted to the study of the … More

University of Chicago, Regenstein & Mansueto Libraries

University of Chicago, Regenstein and Mansueto Libraries

1100 E. 57th St.

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** **Online Reservation Required** Designed by Helmut Jahn and opened in … More

University of Chicago, South Campus Chiller Plant

University of Chicago, South Campus Chiller Plant

6035 S. Blackstone Ave.

Designed by Helmut Jahn, this award winning 26,000 square-foot building opened in 2009. The building … More

VOA Associates Inc.

VOA Associates Inc.

224 S. Michigan Ave. (Railway Exchange), Suite #1400

VOA Associates Incorporated, founded in 1969, is an international design firm with offices located in … More

Wabash Tower, Roosevelt University

Roosevelt University Wabash Tower (courtesy of VOA Associates)

425 S. Wabash Ave.

Roosevelt University’s new Wabash Building is hard to miss, with its 32-story tower, a zig-zagging … More

William Jones College Preparatory High School

William Jones College Preparatory High School

700 S. State St.

This school year Jones College Prep will be opening the doors of their new massive … More

Windsor Beach Apartments

Windsor Beach Apartments (photo courtesy of Eric Rogers)

7321 S. South Shore Dr.

This distinctive 13-story building in the shape of a Maltese Cross was designed by Robert … More

Wright Heerema Architects

Wright Heerema Architects

140 S. Dearborn St. (Marquette Building), Suite #200

Wright Heerema Architects is a Chicago-based architecture and interior design firm located on the second … More

Zhou B Art Center

Zhou B Art Center

1029 W. 35th St.

Zhou B Art Center is the brainchild of internationally acclaimed contemporary artists and brothers Shan … More

Zhou Brothers Art Foundation & Life Garden

Life Garden

3302 S. Morgan St.

Tiled in white marble with museum quality lighting and filled with exquisite examples of the … More

theWit Hotel

theWit Hotel

201 N. State St.

This 250,000 square-foot hotel, constructed on a diminutive 68 foot by 140 foot lot, accommodates … More

1871

1871

222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza #1212 (Enter at 333 N. Orleans)

**Chicago Architecture Foundation Members Only** Located in the massive and historic Merchandise Mart, 1871 is … More