St. Mary of Perpetual Help Church

Print

1039 W. 32nd St. | Neighborhood: Bridgeport / Back of the Yards

St. Mary of Perpetual Help St. Mary of Perpetual Help St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers)
Prev Media 1 of 8 Next

St. Mary of Perpetual Help

St. Mary of Perpetual Help

St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers)

St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers)

St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers)

St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers)

St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers)

St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers)

St. Mary of Perpetual Help St. Mary of Perpetual Help St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers) St. Mary of Perpetual Help (courtesy of Eric Allix Rogers)

St. Mary of Perpetual Help Catholic Church was founded in 1882 to serve the Polish families of Bridgeport. It was designed by Henry Engelbert of Detroit and consecrated on October 24, 1903 by Archbishop James Quigley. The architectural style of the exterior is Romanesque with decorative brick and stone corbelling. The interior is Byzantine and resembles a Greek Cross with half domes and arches that surround a 113-foot-high central dome. The dome is made entirely of wooden construction with ornamental copper and is lit by a ring of lantern windows. The lavishly shaped and decorated nave is enriched with Stations of the Cross, statuary and the original stained-glass windows by Joseph Artmaier. The nave and sanctuary also feature fine scagliola work, elaborate altars, a suspended pulpit topped by a cupola, and decorative stenciling and murals by John Mallin. The Austin organ was installed in 1928.

Behind the Scenes Access: See the incredible artwork inside this unique church which is celebrating its 130th anniversary. Tours of the church will include a 10-minute organ concert.

Saturday: 10am-3pm

Sunday: 12pm-5pm

Architect: Henry Engelbert, 1903

Website: stmaryofperpetualhelp.com

[X]
Prev Photo X of Y Next
Prev Photo X of Y Next