Saint James Chapel at Archbishop Quigley CenterPrint
835 N. Rush St. | Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Built in 1917 by Steinbeck and McCarthy of New York, Quigley Seminary's St. James Chapel once had a significant place in Chicago's skyline. As high rises have surrounded it, it retains its beauty as a detailed gothic jewel box tucked into the magnificent mile. Modeled on the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, its 40-foot high stained glass windows—created by Robert Giles of the John Kinsella Company—have been called "the crown jewels of Chicago's architectural treasures". Each contains 20,000 to 45,000 pieces of antique English stained glass, illustrating the Life of Jesus, Acts of the Apostles and the Old Testament. When dedicated in 1920, newspapers declared it one of the most beautiful buildings in Chicago. It still is, and today is an important feature of the Archdiocese of Chicago's Administrative headquarters. The Archbishop Quigley Center is an adaptive-reuse renovation of the former pre-seminary high school.
Behind the Scenes Access: See inside the fantastic St. James Chapel and the interior courtyard rarely open to the public.
Architect(s): Steinbeck and McCarthy, 1917