Palette & Chisel Academy of Fine ArtPrint
1012 N. Dearborn St. | Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Chicago’s oldest art academy, and one of the oldest cooperatives in continuous existence in the nation, Palette and Chisel was formed in 1895 by a group of artists and illustrators wanting a chance to work from live models. The Academy (then called the Palette & Chisel Club) was founded in part under the sponsorship of the great sculptor, Laredo Taft.
By 1921 the club had grown from eight members to 400 associates and needed a permanent home. In that year the club purchased a three story Italianate mansion built in 1874 for William Waller. They turned the drawing rooms on the first floor into gallery spaces, the second floor bedrooms into individual studios and created a large sky-lit studio on the third floor ideal for working from live models. Now the Palette & Chisel Academy of Fine Arts, the building is filled with artists creating paintings, drawings and sculpture.
Behind the Scenes Access: Visit gallery spaces and the top floor sky-lit studio where artists will be drawing from a model.
Architect(s): Unknown, 1874