4750 N. Sheridan Rd. | Neighborhood: Uptown
Originally a four story structure built for the Mutual Insurance Company by Fugard & Knapp in 1921, an additional four stories were added in 1926. The Chicago School styled building with Beaux Art ornamentation is clad in white, glazed terra-cotta. Long-time owner Kemper Insurance Group donated the 166,000 square foot building to the Institute of Cultural Affairs (ICA), or Ecumenical Institute, in 1972. Officially landmarked in early 2013, today it is home to the largest one-stop social services center in the Midwest, with more than 25 different social service agencies serving in excess of 1,000 clients each week. A residential co-op occupies the top portion of the building. The “Greenrise Uptown Learning Laboratory” demonstrates a creative culture for living and working. ICA has been steadily implementing green elements into the building including a vertical ecosystem/urban farm.
Behind the Scenes Access: See the former corner executive office and the new eco-friendly community kitchen for residents which includes an urban garden and composting system.
Architect(s): Fugard and Knapp (first four stories); B. Leo Steif (4 additional stories), 1921
Additional Programming sponsored by Uptown United:
As part of the 5 Artists/5 Stories program curated especially for OHC weekend, artist Nathan Mason presents a series of digital photographs in the ICA's old wood paneled executive offices. The photographs display an array of rich stories people tell through their everyday clothing and accessories, along with objects they carry in public spaces.